Everyone has to work, but some people get to do it in style. If you don’t have the money for a new desk, or your current desk is too worn down to worry about, never fear—it’s time you bought an office chair. The topic of this article is how much you should spend on an office chair that will safely and comfortably allow you to continue working while looking like a professional. The answer? Well, it depends. The first thing you absolutely must look into is how much your current desk and chair cost: if you had to buy it today, how much would it be? If you didn’t have to buy it today, how long did your current desk and chair last before becoming unusable? If your answer is “at least a year,” then there’s a good chance that you can afford more than an office chair.
Why Should We Spend on an Office Chair?
The primary purpose of an office chair is to support the spine and provide the necessary support for your body. Whether you’re sitting at a desk or you need to work outside around the house, around the yard, or at a conference table, make sure it’s comfortable and doesn’t put pressure on your back. Or worse, it causes you pain and injury. Get this right and make sure it can support both your office tasks and all activities you do throughout the day. You also don’t want to try out different chairs over the years—they always become uncomfortable and unsupportive. Buy your office chair once, and it should be comfortable for many years to come.
The spending part of an office chair depends on what you need, but some things are more important than others like :
1. The height of the chair’s backrest. The taller the backrest, the more you can lean into it for support. The taller it is, the more of your body weight will be directed to your lower back and away from your head and upper shoulders.
2. Armrests: they can be a great tool to lean on while providing support for your upper body when you need it. The arm areas should be high enough to support your forearms but low enough to have room when you need your elbows on the desk.
3. The tilt of the backrest: when you slouch, you’re putting a lot of pressure on the lower half of the spine, which can lead to back pain and even damage in some cases. An adjustable backrest will allow for a good sitting posture and will help prevent injury.
4. The movement of the seat: office chairs hardly move at all, so if you’re looking for one that will give you some comfort and support, be sure to get one that you can easily adjust. Most use wheels if your desk is on the floor, but some may have casters that you roll back and forth on.
5. Warranty: it’s nice to know that your chair will last for quite a while after it’s purchased, but you shouldn’t get your hopes up. Most will last for at least two years, but you’ll need to purchase new office furniture after that.
Now that you know how much to spend on an office chair, you can make the best purchase decision possible!
Expensive Office Chairs if You Want to Spend
1. Wegner Swivel Chair
This chair is available in five colors and costs $1,076.00. It has a “high back,” which means that the chair’s back comes up to your shoulders (it does not wrap around you). The chair has one armrest and is well-padded. Its dimensions are 24″(w) x 27″(d) x 44″ to 47″(h), and it weighs about 50 pounds. If this chair is too expensive for you, there are plenty of other ergonomic chairs that one can have for much less.
2. Grand Executive Highback
This chair costs $987.00. It is a leather chair that has an attached headrest and adjustable lumbar support. The dimensions are 20″(w) x 28″(d) x 46″ to 50″(h), and it weighs about 45 pounds.
3. Eames Executive Chairs
These chairs are available in eight colors and cost $857.00. It has a “low back” with a molded plywood shell padded with foam, bent plywood legs with adjustable nylon glides, and upholstered in leather. Its dimensions are 17″(w) x 21″(d) x 41″ to 45″(h), and it weighs around 75 pounds.
4. Fritz Hansen Oxford Premium Chair
This chair costs $539.00. It has a molded plywood shell with an upholstered leather base. The dimensions are 14″(w) x 21″(d) x 40″ to 42″(h), and it weighs about 36 pounds.
5. Ekornes Stressless Magic Office Chair
This chair costs $609.00, is made of leather, and has an entire backrest with a padded neck/lumbar area. The dimensions are 17″(w) x 23″(d) x 42″ to 48″(h), and it weighs about 40 pounds.
6. Vitra HeadLine Management Chair
This chair costs $579.00 and has a “high back” with a cushioned seat and back that swivels 360 degrees. The dimensions are 19″(w) x 24″(d) x 46″ to 50″(h), and it weighs about 42 pounds.
7. Eames Soft Pad Management Chair
This chair costs $549.00 and has a “low back” with a molded plywood shell padded with foam and upholstered in leather and swivels 360 degrees. The dimensions are 19″(w) x 24″(d) x 46″ to 50″(h), and it weighs about 48 pounds.
8. Vitra Fauteuil Direction Pivotant
This chair costs $619.00 and has a “low back” with a molded plywood shell padded with foam and upholstered leather. It swivels 360 degrees and is also fully upholstered in leather. Its dimensions are 19″(w) x 24″(d) x 46″ to 50″, and it weighs about 48 pounds.
9. Arper Aston Direction Chair
This chair costs $529.00 and is made of leather, and has a sculpted leather shell with a high back and swivel base. Its dimensions are 19″(w) x 24″(d) x 46″ to 50″(h), and it weighs about 44 pounds.
10. Pininfarina Aresline Xten
so High Back Chair
This chair costs $2,778.00. It is leather-upholstered in nine colors and has a “high back” with a padded seat and back. Its dimensions are 22″(w) x 24″(d) x 44″ to 52″(h), and it weighs about 50 pounds.
11. Herman Miller Aeron
This chair costs $2,895.00. It is made from foamed plastic and has a “high back” with a padded seat and back that swivels 360 degrees. Its dimensions are 23″(w) x 24″(d) x 44″ to 52″(h), and it weighs about 50 pounds.
If you are spending $500 or less, you should go with a regular, cheap office chair. If you spend $500 or less and you don’t mind spending it on a cheap office chair, then, by all means, go with the cheapest one that you can find. However, if your budget allows it and you don’t mind spending a little more money (say around $100), I would highly recommend that you purchase one of the more expensive chairs like the Wegner chair.